+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    -kT is on a distinguished road -kT's Avatar
    WO1 Tam, Kevin
    lsmaircsm
    692 BCIT Aerospace RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post

It looks like the rifle drill in the Sea Cadet manual is going to be the standard for all three elements (by virtue of it being the reference used in, at least, the new level 2 coming on line). As much as my elemental pride resists me saying this, I'm wondering if the air cadet CATO on rifle drill should be withdrawn at this point to avoid confusion
    I have never seen the sea cadet drill manual, but wouldn't the CATO still hold over a sea cadet manual since it probably doesn't say it supercedes the cato?
    OCdt (I) Saroop, Dean
    1 Sqn RMC

Quote Originally Posted by Saroop View Post
    I have never seen the sea cadet drill manual, but wouldn't the CATO still hold over a sea cadet manual since it probably doesn't say it supercedes the cato?
    We haven't established, as of yet, if there is actually any difference between the movements described in the two documents.

But, you are correct that the CPU directing us to use the Sea Cadet Manual does conflict with the CATO which, by the way, is why I wondered aloud if the CATO should be expunged.

To be honest, the CATO should have never existed in the first place. The only reason I can see why the information was placed where it was is that CATOs are the only national-level documents that're amended on a regular basis.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    We haven't established, as of yet, if there is actually any difference between the movements described in the two documents.

But, you are correct that the CPU directing us to use the Sea Cadet Manual does conflict with the CATO which, by the way, is why I wondered aloud if the CATO should be expunged.

To be honest, the CATO should have never existed in the first place. The only reason I can see why the information was placed where it was is that CATOs are the only national-level documents that're amended on a regular basis.
    I've never seen the sea cadet drill manual before, is it somewhat like the Air Cadet drill manual (the rectangular blue book floating around) that has errors in it and is from 198_ written by Maj _________ (I think), or is it more like a chapter taken out of the 201? Just curious as to why 1 element has a distinct drill manual that none of the other elements have. And if they are referencing that manual in level 2, why not just form a Cadet drill manual?
    OCdt (I) Saroop, Dean
    1 Sqn RMC

The Sea Cadet Manual of Drill and Ceramonial contains drill movements and parade routines that ceased to exist in the 201 around unification. The parade routines are former ceramonial parade that the RCN practiced but are now longer done by the CF but are perpetuated by the sea cadet programme. The drill movements didn't exactly get removed but were changed to accomodate the new service rifle which is substanially different that the Enfield Mk 4.

As for a common drill manual, I believe they are working on it as I saw a draft on the Vernon Army Cadet Summer Training Centre public drive last summer. That being said guess where they pulled the visuals for the rifle drill? The SCMDC
    Capt Ken Logan
    CO 2289 5th (BC) Field Artillery Regiment RCACC
    Former:
    C/MWO lsmrclcmearmycsm2
    CSM 2136 The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's) RCACC

thepriceisright is on a distinguished road thepriceisright's Avatar
    there is a link to the CFP-201 (Canadian Forces Drill Manual) which is waht our drill manual is based on, and we can take reference to that too. here is the link.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/Downloads/cfp201.pdf

It's a .pdf file
    OCdt Petten
    702 Lynx RCAirCS

Quote Originally Posted by kylepetten View Post
    there is a link to the CFP-201 (Canadian Forces Drill Manual) which is waht our drill manual is based on, and we can take reference to that too. here is the link.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/Downloads/cfp201.pdf

It's a .pdf file
    No, it's what your drill manual IS. Cadets use the CFP-201.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    No, it's what your drill manual IS. Cadets use the CFP-201.

JB
    That must be one of the most-used CW replies... or flavours thereof.

This should help you out with the Catching and Letting the Flag Fly:

LET FLY THE - FLAG(S)

On the command, maintain the grip on the "pike", release the flag with a downward motion of the right hand.

CATCH THE - FLAG(S)

On the command, grasp the flag with the left hand and bring it in to the pike; simultaneously, grasp the corner of the flag with the right hand, back to the hand outwards, at the point of the pike where the lowest corner of the flag reaches. Then, cut the left hand to the side to the position of attention, and raise the right forearm to the horizontal position. (Depending on the wind, this can be reversed, by using the right hand after securing the pike)

I'll see if I can get anymore Drill movements.
    Georgian College - Orillia Campus - University Partnership Center
    Bachelor of Human Services - Police Studies

Retired WO1 - 242 Ross Ferguson Squadron

Quote Originally Posted by MJVank View Post
    CATCH THE - FLAG(S)
    Hmm.... interesting; I always read and was taught that it was RETRIEVE instead of CATCH.
    OCdt Petten
    702 Lynx RCAirCS

Quote Originally Posted by kylepetten View Post
    Hmm.... interesting; I always read and was taught that it was RETRIEVE instead of CATCH.
    Quote Originally Posted by CFP 201 8-3-15
    47. On the command CATCH THE – COLOUR,
    the two movements are combined. A standard pause
    shall be observed between the movements.
    Of course the word COLOUR is to be replaced with FLAG

There's your reference
    [LEFT]Second Lieutenant Jeffrey Ng
    2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

Platoon Commander
    Duty Above All

Quote Originally Posted by baloobot View Post
    Of course the word COLOUR is to be replaced with FLAG

There's your reference
    thanks i will have to bring this up with my Training Officer before ACR.
    OCdt Petten
    702 Lynx RCAirCS

i talked to my admin O, and she said that you dont let fly the flags on an ACR. Unless they are consecrated colours, and it specifies this in the 201.

On a different note, my Region released an update to our Region Standing Orders regarding Air Cadet Flag Parties. Stating General Rules and such, anything not clearly stated in the 201. But any and all drill is from there. There is no seperate Flag Party Manual. Its All Chapter (I THINK!!) 6 of the CFP-201 Manual of Drill and Ceremonial.
    S. Owenaircsm
    Staff Cadet, 2009 CRGS ITAC

Quote Originally Posted by Steff.Owen View Post
    i talked to my admin O, and she said that you dont let fly the flags on an ACR. Unless they are consecrated colours, and it specifies this in the 201.
    The only way to get correct information on drill is by reading the 201, not asking people.
    Last edited by N. McKay; 26th May 2009 at 11:02.

Byer is on a distinguished road Byer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steff.Owen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N. McKay View Post
    The only way to get correct information on drill is by reading the 201, not asking people.
    5. Let Fly the Colours. Releasing the colours to fly free, either as a salute to dignitaries not entitled to the Royal Salute as detailed in A-AD-200-000/AG-000, Honours, Flags, and Heritage Structure of the CF, or to allow free identification of the flag.
    There doesn't seen to be anything there about not doing the same with flags. Since the RO is very likely not entitled to a Royal Salute, you would let fly on a General Salute or march past.

DB
    FSgt (Ret'd) Davis Byer gliderwingspowerwingsaircsm
    778 Banshee Squadron
    GPL, CPL(A), Class 4 FI, Group 1 IR - Seneca College, Bachelor of Aviation Technology

DA Wright is on a distinguished road DA Wright's Avatar
    Indeed, the flags are let fly on the General Salute, for the March Past and the Advance in Review Order/General Salute (and are not caught until after the anthem, if the anthem is played following the General salute). I can also confirm this applies to Central Region, as elsewhere.
    D.A. Wright
    Maj
    Plans O
    RCSU Central
    Do, or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Sorry, a quick question:

When doing a counter march, I was always taught that we were suppose to be in line with each other at the 5th pace and again for the 9th pace. However, recently, I was told that it was suppose to be in line at 7th pace and again at 11. Can anyone confirm which one is correct?
    Basic 2k8 ITLC 2k9 AATC-AO 2k10 AATC 2k11

-kT is on a distinguished road -kT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 351_FP View Post
    Sorry, a quick question:

When doing a counter march, I was always taught that we were suppose to be in line with each other at the 5th pace and again for the 9th pace. However, recently, I was told that it was suppose to be in line at 7th pace and again at 11. Can anyone confirm which one is correct?
    Since a counter march isn't an "official" flag drill movement, there isn't really a pace.

But when I teach my cadets to do it, I have them in line at 6 paces (give consideration to the fact that my Flag Party does 15 paces for a counter march)
    WO1 Tam, Kevin
    lsmaircsm
    692 BCIT Aerospace RCACS

Byer is on a distinguished road Byer's Avatar
    The counter march seems to be one of those drill movements where no one can find a reference for it however it's done anyway. It was even one of the commands at last year's TAG Flag Party Comp, but I doubt it was marked very harshly since everyone seems to have a different idea of how to do it.
    FSgt (Ret'd) Davis Byer gliderwingspowerwingsaircsm
    778 Banshee Squadron
    GPL, CPL(A), Class 4 FI, Group 1 IR - Seneca College, Bachelor of Aviation Technology

An American's viewpoint

I've come to realize that the British/Canadian way of drill and ceremonies is extremely complicated, at least to me. After spending 20 years in the USAF and having six years of ROTC before that I actually chuckle at the differences between our drill styles.

Has anyone ever seen the YouTube video where an American Army NCO is marching us small troop of British soldiers? It's funny to watch!

I've actually downloaded 201 and want to go through it to get up to speed on how you "weird people" from up north drill. this is my first day on CW and I've already learned so much.