+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pilot824 is on a distinguished road Pilot824's Avatar

Question Drill Command Parts

Hello everyone,
    My question is, when calling a command there are 3 parts. 1._____ 2.Precautionary and 3. Executive. I know that the first part is when you call the name of the Flight/Platoon, but I am not sure of the technical name for it.

ie: "Squad - Right - Dress".

The underlined portion of the example is what I am not sure of what it is called. if anyone can tell me I will greatly appricate it
    CI. Andrew Lampert powerwingsaircsm
    Supply Officer
    599 Marc Garneau Squadron
    University of Western Ontario - B.Eng.Sci Software Engineering Program

Drill commands have only two parts, the Cautionary and the Executive.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

Pilot824 is on a distinguished road Pilot824's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Drill commands have only two parts, the Cautionary and the Executive.

JB
    so would "Squad Right - Dress" (the underlined part) be the Precautionary?
    CI. Andrew Lampert powerwingsaircsm
    Supply Officer
    599 Marc Garneau Squadron
    University of Western Ontario - B.Eng.Sci Software Engineering Program

Quote Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
    so would "Squad Right - Dress" (the underlined part) be the Precautionary?
    In the command "Right - DRESS," the word "Right" would be the Cautionary, and the word "DRESS" would be the executive.

There's no such thing as a Precautionary part of a drill order.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

CW Chatter/SE Contributor of the Year - 2009 M. Arnott is on a distinguished road M. Arnott's Avatar
    Squad isn't technically a part of the command. It is the group you are addressing. It can be interchanged with ______ flight, squad, squadron, and wing (of course these are the air terminologies).

In that case it would be "right-DRESS". The lower case is the cautionary and the capitals is the executive.
    SLt Morgan Arnott
    189 RCSCC PORT AUGUSTA

Are you following CW on Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by M. Arnott View Post
    Squad isn't technically a part of the command. It is the group you are addressing. It can be interchanged with ______ flight, squad, squadron, and wing (of course these are the air terminologies).

In that case it would be "right-DRESS". The lower case is the cautionary and the capitals is the executive.
    That's as good of an explanation as you can get.
    WO2 Cheung aircsm
    692 BCIT Aerospace Sqn
    Basic '05, ITLC '06, ITIC '07, SLC '08, AHACSTC Staff '09
    Top ITIC '07 AH 0701
    "Soaring to Excel"

Quote Originally Posted by M. Arnott View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ECheung View Post
    That's as good of an explanation as you can get.
    A good explanation but not entirely correct. Squad, flight, etc is part of the cautionary command.

38. The cautionary command warns of the
    movement to be performed and shall be given first.
    The cautionary command may include additional
    instructions such as “ADVANCE”, “RETIRE”, etc. The
    executive command serves as the signal for the
    movement to be carried out. Throughout this manual,
    words of command are printed in capital letters. A
    dash separates the cautionary from the executive
    portion of the command, e.g., RIGHT IN – CLINE.
    In the case of SQUAD RETIRE, RIGHT – TURN, the cautionary is everything before the dash and everything after is the executive.
    gliderwingsJ-P Johnson cd1
    Barrie Ontario
    The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

CW Member of the Year - 2009 Andy is on a distinguished road Andy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-P Johnson View Post
    In the case of SQUAD RETIRE, RIGHT – TURN, the cautionary is everything before the dash and everything after is the executive.
    This does mean that a drill command such as..

SQUADRON WILL MARCH PAST IN COLUMN OF ROUTE, MOVE TO THE RIGHT IN COLUMN OF ROUTE, BAND AND COLOUR PARTY LEADING, IN SLOW AND QUICK TIME, QUICK - MARCH, has a tremendously long cautionary... but it's all still cautionary.
    Last edited by Andy; 24th November 2008 at 15:47.
    CV Anders Lau
    759 Falcon RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

SQUADRON WILL MARCH PAST IN COLUMN OF ROOT, MOVE TO THE RIGHT IN COLUMN OF ROOT, BAND AND COLOUR PARTY LEADING, IN SLOW AND QUICK TIME, QUICK - MARCH, has a tremendously long cautionary... but it's all still cautionary.
    In theory, yes, but this isn't a valid command. Rifle regiments can double up on commands (due to their agility) but this wouldn't be correct for them either.

In your example:

a. The flag(or Colour) party does not lead unless there is only a single flight. In a squadron, the flag party is positioned in the centre (unless there is an odd number of flights then it goes to the gap to the right of centre - ie between flight 1 and 2 if there are 3 flights). If there is more than one squadron (like you often see at CSTC grads), the flag party is positioned between squadrons (if there is only one flag party for the whole parade otherwise each sqn has it's own flag party - there's more to it than that, this is just the simple version). There are many combinations depending on whether they are in line, in close columns, etc. Chap 8 sec 7 of the 201 has diagrams.

b. You don't have to double up on the "column of routes". I am going to defer talking about the "band...leading" for now (see below). But without the "band" part the commands would be:

SQUADRON WILL MARCH PAST IN SLOW AND QUICK TIME. MOVE TO THE RIGHT IN COLUMN OF ROUTE, RIGHT - TURN.

SQUADRON, BY THE LEFT, QUICK - MARCH.

When in line, you don't indicate that anyone is "leading" because there is only one flight that CAN lead.

As for the band, the CFP 202 says that band drill when on parade is located in the 201 in Art 906. The problem is that this is a reference to the OLD 201 and this article doesn't exist any longer. Strangely enough, the current 201 says band drill references are in the 202 which makes me think that there is a newer version of the 202 out there that we don't have access to. I have a 1980s version of the 201 in my archive and I will check it out when I get home. It is obsolete but might give a clue to what is supposed to be going on.
    Barrie Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

SQUADRON WILL MARCH PAST IN COLUMN OF ROOT, MOVE TO THE RIGHT IN COLUMN OF ROOT, BAND AND COLOUR PARTY LEADING, IN SLOW AND QUICK TIME, QUICK - MARCH, has a tremendously long cautionary... but it's all still cautionary.
    How could they move to the right in column of route and quick march all within one command?
    Last edited by ARMY101; 24th November 2008 at 09:15. Reason: Spelling error

Column of route not column of root.
    Barrie Ontario

what if they were marching up a tree?
    S. Bedford
    cd1 armycsm2

Quote Originally Posted by Black hat View Post
    what if they were marching up a tree?
    You mark time when you get to the top
    Barrie Ontario

Squad, flight, etc is part of the cautionary command.
    Also when a movement is broken down for instructional purposes, it is not broken down into a number of Squads.

Squads is people.

In other words, RIGHT DRESS BY NUMBERS, SQUAD - ONE isn't ordering the class to perform something called Squad One. It is ordering the Squad to perform the first part of the movement.

To use the good Capt's quote, the word of command could be RIGHT DRESS BY NUMBERS, FLIGHT - ONE.

Confused anybody?
    S. Bedford
    cd1 armycsm2

Now as for the words "MYSELF ONLY"...
    S. Bedford
    cd1 armycsm2

Spelling error, my bad

Also when a movement is broken down for instructional purposes, it is not broken down into a number of Squads.

Squads is people.

In other words, RIGHT DRESS BY NUMBERS, SQUAD - ONE isn't ordering the class to perform something called Squad One. It is ordering the Squad to perform the first part of the movement.

To use the good Capt's quote, the word of command could be RIGHT DRESS BY NUMBERS, FLIGHT - ONE.

Confused anybody?
    I've never thought about that actually. I've always heard the first part of the movement referred to as "squad one", but it also makes sense that you're telling the squad to move to the first position.

Squads is people.

Confused anybody?
    The 201 uses squads to explain how to break down movements when instructing drill. Using the Capt's quote from above is taking it out of context.
    Capt Ken Logan
    CO 2289 5th (BC) Field Artillery Regiment RCACC
    Former:
    C/MWO lsmrclcmearmycsm2
    CSM 2136 The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's) RCACC

CW Member of the Year - 2009 Andy is on a distinguished road Andy's Avatar
    Edited.

In theory, yes, but this isn't a valid command. Rifle regiments can double up on commands (due to their agility) but this wouldn't be correct for them either.
    Definitely - the point is to illustrate how to identify the executive.
    CV Anders Lau
    759 Falcon RCACS

One could argue there is a third part to Drill Commands... The standard pause between the cautionary and executive is nothing short of intergal in the command as a whole but, unless I am gravely mistake, is not in either of the two afore mentioned parts. Clarification/downright berating on this would be appriciated. Perhaps you were thinking Cautionary, Standard Pause, Exectuive?
    Nicholas Foran
    Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    The 201 uses squads to explain how to break down movements when instructing drill. Using the Capt's quote from above is taking it out of context.
    On the contrary, nowhere does the 201 state any movement is broken down into squads.

"(1) Demonstrate the complete movement, calling out the time.
    (2) Demonstrate the first part of the movement....
    (5) Practice the squad on the first movement (collectively, individually,
    collectively)."

In fact, the definition of Squad as contained in the 201 prohibits applying it to describe the parts of a movement as it is a generic term for a group of people performing drill.

For example:
    "On the command REMOVE HEADDRESS BY NUMBERS SQUAD – ONE, squad members shall bring the right hand to the front...."

Now while a Squad would normally be smaller than a Flight clearly substituting the two terms retains the original meaning.
    S. Bedford
    cd1 armycsm2