+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Lt Ferreira is on a distinguished road Lt Ferreira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiesonaelick View Post
    Hello All,
    I am a Sgt in Ontario, I have been told that I could be in charge of the ceremony from my Co and my school. What should I do? IDK how many cadets ill have to work with. HELP!
    Have a sit down with your CO and have a discussion to cover the questions you have.

That's about all the help we can give you
    Capt Drew Ferreira
    Commanding Officer
    258 "Little Giant" RCACS - Chetwynd, BC

Quote Originally Posted by jamiesonaelick View Post
    Hello All,
    I am a Sgt in Ontario, I have been told that I could be in charge of the ceremony from my Co and my school. What should I do? IDK how many cadets ill have to work with. HELP!
    Very first thing, find out for yourself what cadets will be there. Get some announcement up in the morning at school, asking all interested parties to sign up in the office or something. Have that done over a couple of days, and then you should have a list of people interested. I personally count on half of the people who have signed up actually being there in uniform - I have seen many ceremony ICs panicking five minutes before the parade over number shortages.

Next step is to establish the parade format. Your school might already have something in mind, so check with them first. I've never seen a cadet being given much lee-way with running things, so you most likely won't need to worry about it. Do your best to have some sort of marching-on deal, and then marching off. Do so with colours/flags if possible. At a school ceremony, the most commonly used are the Canadian and provincial flags. Any veterans should definitely be included in these parts of the ceremony.

Some ceremonies I've been to have cadets standing at attention/at ease for the entire thing at the front. I personally disagree with this approach, and prefer to see them seated near/behind the veterans, but that is personal opinion. I think I get this sense since I see a cadet fall out whenever standing is required, and that looks VERY unprofessional. As a general rule, if you can't count on someone standing for an hour, everyone sits.

Lastly, you might end up in the unfortunate situation of having a higher-ranked cadet in your company. Make sure that they understand that you were selected to run this, but not with words. Present yourself as a professional who can handle it by yourself, but also accept input from the senior and all other cadets involved. Rubbing your position in his/her face can lose you a person for the ceremony.

Good luck!
    SLt Raddatz
    344 RCSCC