+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post Wearing Uniform to School for Remembrance Day Parade?

Hey guys,
    Is anyone wearing their uniform to school for Remembrance Day Parade?
    I am for sure. If you are too...

Make sure your uniforms are up to standards. Be proud of it.
    Don't be worried if you don't have much on your uniform.

Most school look for cadet volunteer to do certain jobs.
    Ask your school if you could play some roles like being:
    The flag barrier or the "MC" for the ceremony.
    Or even be there in your uniform helping and organizing people and help when ever needed.

Last year, 2 other cadets and I marched on to the ceremony in front of everyone
    And then O Canada was played and we saluted the whole way while it was going on.
    And then we marched off. It was so cool because you’re in front of everyone,
    and everyone is looking at you. It’s a nice feeling and make you feel pretty special.

MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A POPPY

Last edited by 2551Airborn; 4th November 2008 at 13:57.
    Ahsan Hassan
    Warrant Officer
    CSM
    2551 Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
    "Patricia's!"

Megan is on a distinguished road Megan's Avatar

I wore my uniform to school in Grade 7, but every year since then I've had to wear my band uniform to play at the assembly (and I played the Last Post for Grades 10, 11, and 12).
    CI Megan Stacey - Music - HMCS ONTARIO 2009
    She loves the sky, 'cause it validates her pride;
    Never lets her know when she is wrong.

xox_SuRgIn_xox is on a distinguished road xox_SuRgIn_xox's Avatar
    I did last year and I am this year too.
    My school is lighting candles for the fallen and stuff like that and I get to light the one for the future. I'm really excited because I am also dancing!
    I'll be posting pics up here on Friday.
    Hailey Anderson
    N.L.C.C Admiral Rayner
    Victoria, British Columbia

For the past two years I have carried a flag in the ceremony (in uniform of course) and am doing the same this year.
    OCDT Michelle Hill
    canada
    RMC

Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    Aren't your Cadet units parading in your local communities?

Wear your uniform there.
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Given that schools in most Provinces are closed on Remebrance Day I am sure that Cadets participate easily and proudly in both. We have over 25 Cadets from 2381 participating in school ceremonies.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Nicholson View Post
    Given that schools in most Provinces are closed on Remebrance Day I am sure that Cadets participate easily and proudly in both. We have over 25 Cadets from 2381 participating in school ceremonies.
    What?

These folks are talking about wearing their uniforms to school on Remembrance Day. I'm encouraging them to go out into their communities and parade with their units.

Are schools actually closed on Remembrance Day? This is not the norm in Ontario.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byer is on a distinguished road Byer's Avatar
    Yeah, my school just does prayers (Catholic school) and normal Remembrance Day stuff over the PA, but one year before I went to high school apparently the cadets at the school did something special.

As stuff isn't closed here on Remembrance Day, we in Richmond Hill have our parade this Sunday
    FSgt (Ret'd) Davis Byer gliderwingspowerwingsaircsm
    778 Banshee Squadron
    GPL, CPL(A), Class 4 FI, Group 1 IR - Seneca College, Bachelor of Aviation Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
    What?

These folks are talking about wearing their uniforms to school on Remembrance Day. I'm encouraging them to go out into their communities and parade with their units.

Are schools actually closed on Remembrance Day? This is not the norm in Ontario.
    Well, if you want to get picky, the thread name says "Remembrance Day Parade" which, for schools may or may not be on the day itself.

I don't know of any school in Sask. that will be open on that day... usually schools get a four day weekend for it. My school is having their ceremony on Thursday and I'm going to another ceremony on the actual day.
    OCDT Michelle Hill
    canada
    RMC

Quote Originally Posted by Mich_Hill View Post
    Well, if you want to get picky, the thread name says "Remembrance Day Parade" which, for schools may or may not be on the day itself.

I don't know of any school in Sask. that will be open on that day... usually schools get a four day weekend for it. My school is having their ceremony on Thursday and I'm going to another ceremony on the actual day.
    Ah, I see.... The standard in Ontario is that schools do not close. If Remembrance Day is during the week then Cadets need to choose between attending parades in their communities or going to school (sometimes in uniform). I was encouraging people in that situation to get out of the school and participate in the community. A lot of learning takes place outside of the classroom, and this is one of those times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Before anyone gets overly excited about wearing uniforms to school, make sure that your CO knows and approves of you doing so before you do. Otherwise messy situations can occur.
    Lt Robin Braet
    - RCSCC LANARK
    HMCS ONTARIO Public Affairs 2012

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them

SaulT is on a distinguished road SaulT's Avatar
    im playing Last Post at 3 schools, 2 local elementary schools and my school (for all the school's 3 assemblies).

at least in BC anyway, we dont have school on Remembrance Day...
    Theo Saul lsm armycsm
    Cadet Warrant Officer (Ret'd)
    Former-Company Sergeant Major of 2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Before anyone gets overly excited about wearing uniforms to school, make sure that your CO knows and approves of you doing so before you do. Otherwise messy situations can occur.
    Of course
    OCDT Michelle Hill
    canada
    RMC

jjhp is on a distinguished road jjhp's Avatar
    I don't know if this is just BC or for entire Canada, but its by law that schools have a Remembrance Day Ceremony. In BC our schools are closed on the 11th so we're having the assembly on monday.
    Jack Park rclcmeaircsm
    Warrant Officer 2nd Class
    Squadron Deputy Commander
    SB08 - HB09 - Staff09 - HB10 - IACE Australia 10
    583 Coronation RCAirCS canada

It certainly is. My schools in BC would have a Remembrance day ceremony on the last day before the actual Remembrance Day, to ensure all the students were exposed to it. So Cadets would do the School ceremony on the 10th, and then the real one out in the community on the 11th.

ALI~2853 is on a distinguished road ALI~2853's Avatar
    Our CO says we have to have our parents permission if we want to miss school to participate in Remembrance Day ceremonies in our various communities...but since I'm 18 I shall sign myself out and likely my sister if my parents ok it. But yeah, I am going to the assembly at my school then I am going to the cenotaph service, then likely hanging out at the legion for the rest of the day.
    ret. WO Hartsgrove, A rclcmearmycsm BSM 2853 RCACC
    CL 05 G-Coy Blackdown
    CLI PERT 06 C-Coy Connaught
    CLI D&C 07 A-Coy Blackdown
    F-Coy Sgt. 08 Blackdown&C-Coy Sgt. 09 Connaught

xox_SuRgIn_xox is on a distinguished road xox_SuRgIn_xox's Avatar
    Our School is Having ours tomorrow because Friday is our short day and we only have hour long classes , so we won't be able to do everything in that space. Plus, we have a Pro-d on the monday. We're one of two schools in the city who has that day off. I didn't know in ontario you have school on rememberance day. Hmm you learn something new every day.
    Hailey Anderson
    N.L.C.C Admiral Rayner
    Victoria, British Columbia

Wow, got bad new.
    I went to the person organizing the ceremony at my school and I asked if I could do something and they said they have nothing. NOTHING, can you believe that?
    I was looking forward to it for like a month or so being in my uniform and doing something. Anything like carrying the flag, helping and stuff, but nothing.
    Because "they are all covered", and not by cadets may I mention, more like other stuff.
    But no, they couldn't spear a space or one cadet do something.
    It's so depressing and disappointing from the school.
    I'm still thinking of going in my uniform though.
    Their loss Right?
    Ahsan Hassan
    Warrant Officer
    CSM
    2551 Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
    "Patricia's!"

CW Member of the Year - 2009 Andy is on a distinguished road Andy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2551Airborn View Post
    Wow, got bad new.
    I went to the person organizing the ceremony at my school and I asked if I could do something and they said they have nothing. NOTHING, can you believe that?
    I was looking forward to it for like a month or so being in my uniform and doing something. Anything like carrying the flag, helping and stuff, but nothing.
    Because "they are all covered", and not by cadets may I mention, more like other stuff.
    But no, they couldn't spear a space or one cadet do something.
    It's so depressing and disappointing from the school.
    I'm still thinking of going in my uniform though.
    Their loss Right?
    How early in the planning process did you approach them?

I mean, not every single ceremony has oodles of cadets available, so it sounds like they wanted to get every single hole covered, which happens.

It's not quite fair to those that had already made a commitment, but such is life.
    CV Anders Lau
    759 Falcon RCACS

SaulT is on a distinguished road SaulT's Avatar
    not even a space to just stand there and look pretty??
    Theo Saul lsm armycsm
    Cadet Warrant Officer (Ret'd)
    Former-Company Sergeant Major of 2947 12 (Vancouver) Service Battalion RCACC