+ Reply to Thread

Sea Cadet Speakofff ??! :) help me !

okay.. so this year for the speakoff in st johns newfoundland they have all the topics on a sheet we can choose from and the one i chose i need a little help with i need to know what you have learned from cadets anything helps.. message asap.

xo
    nicole falle
    RCSCC #73 Newfoundland

Bow3n is on a distinguished road Bow3n's Avatar
    Well, just be honest about it. What have you learned in the time you've been in cadets? Sailing, Range, Naval History, Seamanship? Just refer back to the classes you've done for the past few months and maybe add in what the best thing you've learned so far. Or how you were taught those classes. For the conclusion maybe add in what you hope to learn aswell.

Good Luck!
    Lt K.R.J. Bowen
    CFB Cold Lake, AB
    42 Radar Squadron

Be honest with it.. But for me, the biggest thing I have learnt is how to be a leader..
    CPO1 (Ret'd) Allaby
    Former Coxswain-349 RCSCC Chilliwack
    2008 CPOONS-HMCS Quadra
    lsmscsm

CW Member of the Year - 2009 Andy is on a distinguished road Andy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nfalle View Post
    okay.. so this year for the speakoff in st johns newfoundland they have all the topics on a sheet we can choose from and the one i chose i need a little help with i need to know what you have learned from cadets anything helps.. message asap.

xo
    nicole falle
    RCSCC #73 Newfoundland
    If the topic is about what you have learned as a cadet, whatever we say doesn't really matter, as it's not the CW speakoff, with Cadet Falle as our representative. Be honest & truthful about what you yourself have learnt, and go from there.
    CV Anders Lau
    759 Falcon RCACS

Tight_eyez is on a distinguished road
    Tong Yun Gai, Vancouver (You know that Supermarket on Keefer St.? Yeah, way East of that)
    Just be honest and you'll do fine. That being said I can suggest some topics and things to consider.

- Making friends and learning about the cultures of people across Canada (BC, Prairies, Central Region etc.)
    - Skills for the future
    - Things you would never get to do anywhere else

just be creative. also be wary about the freestyle topic and practise by associating ideas with topics (any topic really it's just to practise thinking on your feet) that pop into your head.
    古惑仔
    Leadership is a flavour of evil no one would lead you to do something you wanted to do anyways.
    Cogito ergo nom

Sexton is on a distinguished road Sexton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allaby View Post
    Be honest with it.. But for me, the biggest thing I have learnt is how to be a leader..
    The biggest thing I have learned is leadership aswell. That's a huge focus of the program isn't it? Following and leadership for me and I know I will keep them with me for ever.
    but really, like everyone else said, be honest and put some jazz into it, without lying! don't lie! if you haven't learned good leadership skills yet, or ones that you cantake with you, don't put it down and come up with something else
    Just have a little faith

Confidence. =)

Use our responses to inspire you, but it's important to speak on your own experiences. You will likely feel much more confident and passionate speaking about your own experiences, experiences you can personally connect to, than speaking about the experiences of others.

Yep i agree!
    I have had to talk to my juniors about my camp experiences before, and it was great! I talked about camp, specifications to my trade, silly things that have happened at our LHQ, and the cadets loved it! Just relax and be confident, thats my strategy.
    Jareth Godecke
    136 Amphion - "Fear None"
    Amphion 2001 - Present
    CIC Enrollement Pending
    canada"The Future Is How We Make It."bc

Practice excessively. It really helps you gain confidence (which you should have like CI Morris said in an earlier post), and you don't have to refer to your papers as often.