+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RCAF March Past

RCAF March Past

So does anybody know how to do the RCAF March Past Properly? I've tried looking it up in the 201, but couldn't find it.

THis is how we do it, I'm not sure if it's right tho,
    1. Start of with a normal March past in quick time in columb of route, and head back to the inspection line,
    2. Change to slow time
    3. Left wheel then a left turn
    4. Open order
    5. Eyes right
    6. Eyes front
    7. Close order
    8. a right turn in slow time, then automatically change into quick time and two left wheels
    9. head back to the advance line and mark time insecsestion by flight
    10. hault

Really dunno...
    but check out that site:

www.answers.com/topic/rcaf-march-past

there is a listen to rcaf march past MIDI track.

-Hope it helps to your search!
    Sergeant E. Lecavalier
    660 Des Mille-Iles Squadron
    --Spitfire Flight--

At Your Service
    canada

Byer is on a distinguished road Byer's Avatar
    Air RCAF or RAF?

I know my squadron does the RAF March Past each year at annual. Maybe this is what you're thinking of. Sqn. turns in coulmn of threes, starts marching. Left wheel, left turn, begin slow march after the turn. Open order (on the march), eyes right, eyes front, close order, right turn, 3 paces slow time, then change to quick time, F Comds move in column of route, double left wheel. Left wheel, and go around again, only in quick time, in column of route (like regular march past). Mark time, halt, and advance.

DB

P.S. If you need the commands, don't hesitate to ask.
    FSgt (Ret'd) Davis Byer gliderwingspowerwingsaircsm
    778 Banshee Squadron
    GPL, CPL(A), Class 4 FI, Group 1 IR - Seneca College, Bachelor of Aviation Technology

Air

Quote Originally Posted by Heron View Post
    THis is how we do it, I'm not sure if it's right tho,
    1. Start of with a normal March past in quick time in columb of route, and head back to the inspection line,
    2. Change to slow time
    3. Left wheel then a left turn
    4. Open order
    5. Eyes right
    6. Eyes front
    7. Close order
    8. a right turn in slow time, then automatically change into quick time and two left wheels
    9. head back to the advance line and mark time insecsestion by flight
    10. hault
    I just realized after i posted my previous reply that you had just described what I did. I'm pretty sure that's the RAF, not the RCAF.
    778 Banshee Squadron
    GPL, CPL(A), Class 4 FI, Group 1 IR - Seneca College, Bachelor of Aviation Technology

I've always done the RAF march past in quick time, the only time I've ever known it to be done in slow is SLC grad.

Question: How come Sea cadets do the RAF march past? cuz i know they do it at HMCS Ontario...
    CI. JESSICA NAIRNE (ret'd W02)
    p5ATHLETICINSTRUCTOR2K6
    150 HAMILTON TIGER 2006-present
    McMaster University '10

I do not believe there is "one proper way" to do the March Past.

The more simpler form of the march past has the command go:

"Squadron, will march past in column of route, <extra stuff about band/flag party leading>, move to the right in column of route, right - turn", followed by a "Squadron, quick march" command after everyone is in position.

Not surprisingly, this is the "column of route march past" and the formation used in this march past is the formation of "Squadron in Column of Route"! For more detailed information on exactly how the formation works for "column of route", consult the Level 4 Handbook, or the 201. Basically, the squadron marches in quick time, and wheels whenever they need to in order to get where they're supposed to go.

Another way to do a march-past, which I've only experienced at some courses, is the "In threes and in line" command:

"Squadron, will march past in threes and in line, in slow and quick time, <extra stuff about whoever's leading>, move to the right in threes, right - turn"

After this command, the squadron gets into the "Squadron in Threes" formation, marches in quick time, to the front of the parade square and each flight executes a left turn to be in the "Squadron in Line" formation, and slow march across the front of the parade square. Once again, everything that the squadron does is included in the march past command!

This has lead me to believe that there isn't just one way to do this movement!
    CV Henry Ngo
    609 Steveston RCACS
    Drill Team Officer

Former WO2 at 655 Richmond RCACS

Sea Cadets do the RAF MArchpast at the CSTC's because of the Air Cadets that attend courses at these camps. I know HMCS Ontario and HMCS Acadia does this every summer because they have a lot of Air Cadets who attend the AIC and Band Courses.
    2Lt Davin Sooley
    Band Officer
    527 Simonds RCAirC

War, like love, should never be made in public.

Quote Originally Posted by sooley527 View Post
    Sea Cadets do the RAF MArchpast at the CSTC's because of the Air Cadets that attend courses at these camps. I know HMCS Ontario and HMCS Acadia does this every summer because they have a lot of Air Cadets who attend the AIC and Band Courses.
    OOOH OK that makes alot of sense.

But, There is more than two places to do AIC???? I thought there was just CSTC Valcartier in Quebec and HMCS Ontario...
    p5ATHLETICINSTRUCTOR2K6
    McMaster University '10

McNeil is on a distinguished road McNeil's Avatar
    1) Squadron, will march past in column of threes, move to the right in column of threes, right - turn. That’s right 3s not in column of rout. Column of threes means that the flt com and fltsgt stay 3 paces in front and behind the flight but turn to the right
    2) Squadron, by the center quick - March. By the center because you march past in line.
    3) The squadron does a left wheel as per the usual parade order.
    4) Squadron, in succession of flights, left - turn. The squadron goes from column of threes to "in line".
    Note: the march past can be done in slow time and/or in open order. These would be called at this time before arriving in front of the RO.
    5) Squadron, in succession of flights, eyes - right.
    6) Squadron, in succession of flights, eyes - front.
    Note: if the squadron is in open order close order them. If the squadron is in slow time change them back to quick march.
    7) Squadron, in succession of flights, right - turn. Squadron moves from in line back to column of rout.
    8) The squadron does two left wheels; one right after the other.
    9) The squadron does a left wheel back on to the inspection line.
    10) Squadron, mark - time
    11) Squadron, halt
    12) Squadron, advance into line, left - turn
    WOI (ret) Ryan McNeil, SWO, 614 RCACS
    powerwings
    rclcmeaircsm
    SDofE
    [Basic 2k2] [ITAC 2k3] [SLC 2k5] [Glider 2k6] [Power 2k7] [RMC class of 2012]

CW Member of the Year - 2009 Andy is on a distinguished road Andy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    This is how its done (on SLC)
    1) Squadron, will march past in column of threes, move to the right in column of threes, right - turn. That’s right 3s not in column of rout. Column of threes means that the flt com and fltsgt stay 3 paces in front and behind the flight but turn to the right
    2) Squadron, by the center quick - March. By the center because you march past in line.
    3) The squadron does a left wheel as per the usual parade order.
    4) Squadron, in succession of flights, left - turn. The squadron goes from column of threes to "in line".
    Note: the march past can be done in slow time and/or in open order. These would be called at this time before arriving in front of the RO.
    5) Squadron, in succession of flights, eyes - right.
    6) Squadron, in succession of flights, eyes - front.
    Note: if the squadron is in open order close order them. If the squadron is in slow time change them back to quick march.
    7) Squadron, in succession of flights, right - turn. Squadron moves from in line back to column of rout.
    8) The squadron does two left wheels; one right after the other.
    9) The squadron does a left wheel back on to the inspection line.
    10) Squadron, mark - time
    11) Squadron, halt
    12) Squadron, advance into line, left - turn
    Good job forgetting the flag party and the Band.
    CV Anders Lau
    759 Falcon RCACS

Air Commands

Squadron - will march past in closed column and in column of route, in slow and quick time, move to the right, in column of threes, band and flag party take - post! Band and flag party do what they have to do.

Squadron - will march past in closed column and in column of route, in slow and quick time, move to the right, in column of threes, right - turn! The squadron turns right. F Comds and F/Sgts only turn right, they don't move.

More to come,

DB
    778 Banshee Squadron

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Good job forgetting the flag party and the Band.
    Not every Squadron has a band and/or flag party. But good point.
    powerwings
    rclcmeaircsm
    SDofE

RAF/RCAF March Past

The RAF or, if you will, RCAF March Past is a musical composition, not a parade manoeuvre or drill sequence unique to the Air Force or to Air Cadets. In Canada all military march pasts (parade manoeuvres) are done according to CFP 201 with some room for modification to suit the venue. HMCS ONTARIO ( and RCSCC QUINTE and many others) play the RAF March past as a polite recognition of the presence of Air Force or Air Cadet personnel on a ceremonial occasion. If Army /Land personnel are present a similar polite gesture would be to play the unit's regimental march past, or some piece of standard military martial repertoire with a mainly "army" connection - Colonel Bogey, British Grenadiers, Soldiers of the Queen etc., etc.. We do all work for the same Queen and good manners are always in style as well as always needing to be practised.
    LCdr (ret'd) B.T. Bevvan
    former Commanding Officer
    R.C.S.C.C. QUINTE
    centennialqsjmqgjmcd4

CW Member of the Year - 2009 Andy is on a distinguished road Andy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    If anything, the parade commander would call them to slow time right before the first flight passed the RO, then call an open order march on the march.
    CV Anders Lau
    759 Falcon RCACS

Sea

whats the command called for the march past...im trying to remember it from HMCS Ontario this year but I cant seem to get all the words right...
    p5ATHLETICINSTRUCTOR2K6
    McMaster University '10

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If anything, the parade commander would call them to slow time right before the first flight passed the RO, then call an open order march on the march.
    That's what I said.
    powerwings
    rclcmeaircsm
    SDofE

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Byer View Post
    I just realized after i posted my previous reply that you had just described what I did. I'm pretty sure that's the RAF, not the RCAF.
    In Canada it is actually the RCAF march and not just RAF as most people call it. It was changed when we started using it as the offical air force march. You can look it up if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by WOrldsFinest View Post
    whats the command called for the march past...im trying to remember it from HMCS Ontario this year but I cant seem to get all the words right...
    it usually goes

ship's company will march past in column of 3's and in line at ___ (insert pre-determined number) pace intervals, A guard (or just guard) leading, move to the right in 3's right turn

then once the cox'n is in place infront of A guard i cant remember exactly what it goes like (been 2 years) but it either is the Cox'n saying in succession of division quick march, then A guard commander ordering Quick march, or it just goes straight to the A guard commander.
    Through The Mud and The Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

I seem to remember that the RAF/ RCAF March past is not even a drill movement! It is a tune that is played during a marchpast, which is the drill movement you are all refering too! Almost all of these suggestions are correct, with the exception of Cpl Byer, a parade does not march past in slow time unless there is a visiting monarch and even so it is the Honour guard and at that time the colours are carried with the pole parallel to the ground, only from the left turn though.