+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 28 ... LastLast
    Thanks Ma'am.
    Capt Eric Coomber
    CO 2828 RCACC

Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) J. Hillsden
    Tsk, tsk Check it out here

Did anyone else notice the irony in that web link? It brings you to the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) site. I think someone at the Directorate of Acronyms messed up! EVERYONE knows you can't have an acronym mean two different things in the government!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. J. Cater
    Did anyone else notice the irony in that web link? It brings you to the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) site. I think someone at the Directorate of Acronyms messed up! EVERYONE knows you can't have an acronym mean two different things in the government!
    Indeed, how ironic.

Though it is a perk when you are in the US and you tell a US soldier that you are "CIC."
    They turnaway and run, especially in your fancy CADPATs.

"Central Intelligence Corp"

Cheers

OK.. quick question.

I have finished HS... but... I'm on my way to college.

Can I, at this point, still be a CIC officer?

I ask because I referred back to a CIC survey that had some interesting number.
    A small percentage, small but a percentage nonetheless, of CIC personel did not have a post-secondary edu.

Thanks!

And, oh..

I've decided to try to get on the slate of an Ary Cadet corp very nearby my house...
    Am I at a disadvantage being someone that they do not know as opposed to getting on a slate of my old cadet unit. The close proximity to me makes that corps very convenient but I don't want to jump into a place where the hurdle of the not knowing me is too great.

I would assume I could get some sort of letter of rec. for my former Maj.

Cheers.

Thanks again!

I'm in the process of trying to figure out which forms are necessary to fill out and which are irrelevant. I don't speak red-tapese so its not fun.

Anyone else think they're unnecessarily hard to figure out
    CI Kim Harrie
    292 RCACS

Actually, I'd like to know if you require a post-secondary edocation to be a CIC Officer as well. No one, including CFRC Calgary has been able to give me a straight answer, yes or no.
    CI Peter Stocker
    :remember:
    Lvl II-III O/Fam Pilot (PRTFW!!)
    781 'Calgary' RCACS

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy
    Actually, I'd like to know if you require a post-secondary edocation to be a CIC Officer as well. No one, including CFRC Calgary has been able to give me a straight answer, yes or no.
    Not at this time, but it's something that comes up for discussion from time to time, so it may become a requirement in the future.

According to the CIC survey done by the our CIC mag... :

A vast majority of CIC officers have a Post Secondary education. But there is a percentage without one. That would suggest that there is a way to become CIC without one.

Right, now. I am have no completed one but I am still going to apply anyways as a definitive answer has yet to be given to me in regards to that issue.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by CI Dumaran
    According to the CIC survey done by the our CIC mag... :

A vast majority of CIC officers have a Post Secondary education. But there is a percentage without one. That would suggest that there is a way to become CIC without one.

Right, now. I am have no completed one but I am still going to apply anyways as a definitive answer has yet to be given to me in regards to that issue.

Cheers!
    Actually, Slt McKay DID answer the question

Quote Originally Posted by Slt McKay
    Not at this time, but it's something that comes up for discussion from time to time, so it may become a requirement in the future.
    At present, High School Graduation is the only educational pre-requisite required to become a member of the CIC.

Point to ponder..............

If the bar is raised and a post-secondary education becomes a requirement, our CSTCs are going to be in a world of hurt. Speaking as the staffing officer for HMCS Quadra, many of our young officers are post-secondary students. If we took that whole group out of the equation, we would be hard pushed to find enough officers to fill all of our positions.

CIC officers who have completed post-secondary education often have full-time civilian jobs that do not allow them to take the summer off to work at a CSTC.
    Last edited by J Hillsden; 17th July 2004 at 21:31.

Banning IP Addresses - one spammer at a time

Actually, Slt McKay DID answer the question

At present, High School Graduation is the only educational pre-requisite required to become a member of the CIC.

Point to ponder..............

If the bar is raised and a post-secondary education becomes a requirement, our CSTCs are going to be in a world of hurt. Speaking as the staffing officer for HMCS Quadra, many of our young officers are post-secondary students. If we took that whole group out of the equation, we would be hard pushed to find enough officers to fill all of our positions.

CIC officers who have completed post-secondary education often have full-time civilian jobs that do not allow them to take the summer off to work at a CSTC.
    Well, I guess my post was more to bring light to that great survey.

Heh, this has been a very informative thread.

Presumably we could enrol university students as NCdts/OCdts.

Come to think of it, doesn't the P. Res. enrol, and promote, officer candidates who are woring towards a degree, but have not necessarily finished it?

Come to think of it, doesn't the P. Res. enrol, and promote, officer candidates who are woring towards a degree, but have not necessarily finished it?
    Yes, I believe that is how it goes.

Just as long as you have an acceptance to a post-secondary institution.

Cheers!

They absolutley do. Don't quote me on this, but I believe, in addition to possibly even reducing the educational requirement for enrolment the Branch Advisory Council was looking at the idea of treating it more like RESO - having to have some sort of progression towards a degree, and a contract to finish it.

I'd like to see, personally, progression towards any kind of post-secondary education for CIC - if it be technical or vocational schools, colleges, universities, or other professional development programs.
    Capt Rob Caswell powerwings
    Commanding Officer
    52 (City of Calgary) RCACS
    Per Scientiam Ad Astra
    How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were?

Quote Originally Posted by Caz
    They absolutley do. Don't quote me on this, but I believe, in addition to possibly even reducing the educational requirement for enrolment
    Reduce it to what? With the possible exception of CFRs, I can't imagine commissionning someone who doesn't even have a high school diploma.

I'd like to see, personally, progression towards any kind of post-secondary education for CIC - if it be technical or vocational schools, colleges, universities, or other professional development programs.
    Concur.

Reduce it to what? With the possible exception of CFRs, I can't imagine commissionning someone who doesn't even have a high school diploma.

Concur.
    The last I saw on the BAC website was reducing to a Gr 10 level (), in order to allow those with serving experience (ie, old NCMs who may not have a high school diploma) to enrol after having been out of the CF for a bit of time.

My contention here is that reducing the educational requirement is a detriement to the public image, as well as to the message we are sending the cadets. I believe that a better, more streamline utilisation of the current educational waiver process would serve this need, whilst encouraging the 'standard' enrollee to get some higher education.
    Capt Rob Caswell powerwings
    Commanding Officer
    52 (City of Calgary) RCACS
    Per Scientiam Ad Astra
    How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were?

They absolutley do. Don't quote me on this, but I believe, in addition to possibly even reducing the educational requirement for enrolment the Branch Advisory Council was looking at the idea of treating it more like RESO - having to have some sort of progression towards a degree, and a contract to finish it.

That would make a lot sense. Not everyone wanting to get into the CIC/CF have the luxury or desire to go to university or work towards a degree of some sort (or under grad).

Cheers.

My contention here is that reducing the educational requirement is a detriement to the public image, as well as to the message we are sending the cadets. I believe that a better, more streamline utilisation of the current educational waiver process would serve this need, whilst encouraging the 'standard' enrollee to get some higher education.
    I agree aswell.

I think if the level was dropped even lower it would affect the system and the view of the system in a negative direction.

Though small amendments are needed, but to go over board... Hmm.

Cheers!

The last I saw on the BAC website was reducing to a Gr 10 level (), in order to allow those with serving experience (ie, old NCMs who may not have a high school diploma) to enrol after having been out of the CF for a bit of time.
    You can't be serious Caz...Grd 10 only, that would allow some of the cadets to enroll as CIC Officers (well technically...I suppose there still is that whole must be 18 years or older reg). I think that would be a very detrimental mistake for the CF to make, especially since most people who are 18/19 and have a high school diploma, are just ready to join the CIC, in terms of maturity and ability to lead (myself included).

Totally agree, especially about allowing those with a tech school diploma/degree, a college diploma, or any other form of professional job training. Instead of relying on University educated CIC officers, allowing those in the trades (et al.) to enroll would bring a much needed perspective to the CIC, in terms of bringing a practical and diverse view to what is currently a fairly University-centred perspective.
    CI Peter Stocker
    :remember:
    Lvl II-III O/Fam Pilot (PRTFW!!)
    781 'Calgary' RCACS

Well its funny. I was talking to an officer of a CFRC here in western ON and he said " The recruiting process for prospective CIC candidates in on the bottom of the list" . With the low levels of P-Res and Reg Force members thats their priority so it might take a few months or even longer.

Keep trying
    www.armycadethistory.com

CIC Coin Number 091