+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Giant Air Cadet Lanyard Superthread

At first at my sqn only SLC grads and the chief were allowed to wear white lanyards (with the CO's permission). Then the other Seniors thought that they looked "lower" than the SLC's because they did not have them. So eventually, it became a big issue and everyone was arguing about it. The SLC grads felt that they had earned the right to wear their lanyard, but in no way thought they were higher than the others, it was more to say "Hey! I graduated SLC". It was agreed upon that the SLC Grads & Chief would wear thicker lanyards, while the others would wear thinner ones. To make a "comprimise". However, there was still debate over the issue. The CO saw the arguements, so now the wearing of any lanyards for anyone has been disallowed. I was just wondering what the policy is at your sqn, and if similar arguments have come up at your LHQ.

Thank you,
    G Lamm
    Lamm
    Alpha's On a Warpath - Mission Unknown
    WSNBM.ONBP - Drill Team Machine - Feels No Pain
    School of Athletics Staff 2006 - 2009
    When your arms ache, and your legs are sore; play with your heart.

CW Chatter/SE Contributor of the Year - 2009 M. Arnott is on a distinguished road M. Arnott's Avatar
    At mine, its just SLC grads. No one has issues with it.
    SLt Morgan Arnott
    189 RCSCC PORT AUGUSTA

Are you following CW on Twitter?

Honestly, IT's Called UNIFORMITY, who cares about all the balony people say. Uniformity makes everyone look as good.

at my squadron white lanyards are given to the members of the competiton drill team
    Ocdt Grieve (I) 25449
    13 Sqn

In mine its Sqn Comm, Dep Comm, SWO and Flt Comm's; so pretty much just the "officer" positions
    WO1 Jeremy Smith
    Anyone Democratic '08
    lsmaircsm

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Smith View Post
    In mine its Sqn Comm, Dep Comm, SWO and Flt Comm's; so pretty much just the "officer" positions
    Yep. When I was at 878 and 903, that's the way it was. When I was at 781, the band wore them for some reason...
    gliderwingspowerwings
    belgiumusa canadaab ukrainepoland

only the members of the band and compition band gets to where them and im not 100%but i think it says in the catos somewhere that only bands can wear them again not 100%
    WO1 Currie aircsm rclcme PTE Currie
    188 COBRA SQN

At my squadron all the parade positions, and flag party wear the white lanyards.
    Ex-Sgt Laura Goulet
    848 Royal Roads Air Cadet Squadron Alumna
    "There Is A Light And It Never Goes Out."
    WSNBM/ONBP - No Regrets

Quote Originally Posted by nick currie View Post
    only the members of the band and compition band gets to where them and im not 100%but i think it says in the catos somewhere that only bands can wear them again not 100%
    Nothing of the sort in CATOs.
    Captain MK Wilson, RSW
    gsm

SI_girl is on a distinguished road SI_girl's Avatar
    flight commanders and warrant officers at my squadron, also flag party. SLC's got nothing to do with it at my sqn
    Cpl Lehman
    Argylls and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (PL)
    ALBAINN GUBRATH (SCOTLAND FOREVER)
    Hear The Echo Walk The Line IES/SIC

Quote Originally Posted by nick currie View Post
    All the CATOs have to say about lanyards is that the CO decides who can wear them.
    My alignment is Chaotic Awesome.
    avoid stupidity
    ~Are YOU in the Band?~

To avoid issues, and on the Captians orders. No cadet at Kiowa wears a white lanyard or a white belt including flag party. I dont see our recent SLC grads complianing at all. It is just the way it works there is too much problems with lanyards so they are just not worn at all. I have not seen a problem yet. The cadets are more than happy not having a fancy piece of rope of their arms versus having one.

Where did the SLC=White Lanyard even start?
    Last edited by Smith; 17th September 2006 at 08:47.

I have no idea. I took it in2001 and it wasn't really brought up except by a couple of the candidates themselves.
    avoid stupidity
    ~Are YOU in the Band?~

Yoman is on a distinguished road Yoman's Avatar
    Last year it was parade positions and the drill team.

in my sqn its only the cheif, and at the moment were lacking.. so basically in my sqn right now... its no one. and the only time the white belts and gloves ever happen, is co's parades, theyre sized for us and we call them "our belts" be we dont wear them.

Megan is on a distinguished road Megan's Avatar
    When I was at 386, it was all the parade positions, the flag party, and the band (if the band was playing that night).

At 51, it's the current drill team, anyone who was on the drill team in 04 (the year we won provincials), and I believe that parade positions and flag party wear them too. I could be wrong, though.

As for wearing coloured lanyards (including white lanyards for SLC), I think that they're stupid. Put them on a clipboard or something! I don't know if it's an unwritten rule or a coincidence, but all SLC grads at my sqn have usually been parade positions or on drill team... So we get to wear our lanyards anyway.
    CI Megan Stacey - Music - HMCS ONTARIO 2009
    She loves the sky, 'cause it validates her pride;
    Never lets her know when she is wrong.

Mmm in my squadron, only flag party has them. I guess it's obviously different for every squadron.
    canada (ret.)FSgt. Batman canada
    6 Jim Whitecross
    --->Shoulder Flash Collection:: 181 and counting<---

Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    As for wearing coloured lanyards (including white lanyards for SLC), I think that they're stupid.
    Noooooooooo coloured lanyards. White ONLY.
    avoid stupidity
    ~Are YOU in the Band?~

my sqn, flag party wears them, ummm maybe the parade positions and drum major i guess?
    583 Coronation Squadron
    F/Sgt Justin Park
    Spitfire Flight
    Basic 2K4 B5 Voodoo
    ITIC 2K6 C9 Black Maria

Z.T.Narf is on a distinguished road Z.T.Narf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flt_jr_ptkickz View Post
    At first at my sqn only SLC grads and the chief were allowed to wear white lanyards (with the CO's permission). Then the other Seniors thought that they looked "lower" than the SLC's because they did not have them. So eventually, it became a big issue and everyone was arguing about it. The SLC grads felt that they had earned the right to wear their lanyard, but in no way thought they were higher than the others, it was more to say "Hey! I graduated SLC". It was agreed upon that the SLC Grads & Chief would wear thicker lanyards, while the others would wear thinner ones. To make a "comprimise". However, there was still debate over the issue. The CO saw the arguements, so now the wearing of any lanyards for anyone has been disallowed. I was just wondering what the policy is at your sqn, and if similar arguments have come up at your LHQ.

Thank you,
    G Lamm
    yeah, sorry 'bout that Gabb. Look at it from our point of view, Joel n I wood be the only flight sergent+ who wouldn't have them... I think that the thick/thin thing was a really good compromise, let you guys show off a bit while we're still not left out completely. oh well :P
    FSgt. Frantz - #80 Sqn. Kitchener
    Basic 2K2/ITLC 2K3 TACSTC
    ITAC 2K4 CRGS
    C-Coy Sgt 2K6 BACSTC
    B-Coy Sgt 2K7 WCSTC