+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 187

Thread: New Cadet Boots

  1. #141
    Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by CATO 46-01
    7. This CATO details the dress policy and authorized items of dress. If an item of wear is not included in this CATO it is not authorized and shall not be worn.
    Or how about this?

    Quote Originally Posted by CATO 46-01
    25. Alterations/modifications. Issued kit shall not be altered or modified except to obtain a reasonable fit or to convert jackets to doublet pattern as authorized for Highland Dress.
    This is what is said about the boots.

    Quote Originally Posted by CATO 46-01
    m. boots. Shall be laced across horizontally from side to side. Boots shall not be modified with any type of metal cleats, hobnails or other metal attachments to heel or sole. No varnish other than shoe polish can be used to shine the boots.
    Though it does not specifically state you can't, it doesn't specifically state you can. Meaning that the CATO's DO forbid it by the simple reasoning that they are exclusive and if something is not in there then its not good to go.

  2. #142
    guys i can't find my polish to do my boots tonight and its CDs
    Samantha Green

  3. #143
    It mentions not adding metal peices such as clickers. It says nothing about adding to the life of the boot by adding an additional sole.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by MWO Anderson
    It mentions not adding metal peices such as clickers. It says nothing about adding to the life of the boot by adding an additional sole.
    I don't think that adding a sole constitutes making it fit better. Read the CATO reference above.

    Adding a sole, technically, is something that one should not be doing.

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by MWO Anderson
    It mentions not adding metal peices such as clickers. It says nothing about adding to the life of the boot by adding an additional sole.
    Thats my point. It doesn't say anything about doubling the sole. As it doesn't say either yes or no, its a no. So the quote proves my point, if indirectly.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice
    I don't think that adding a sole constitutes making it fit better. Read the CATO reference above.

    Adding a sole, technically, is something that one should not be doing.

    JB
    Plus you dont own that boot DND does, That is modifying property which is not your DND just lets a cadet borrow the boots during your cadet carrer.

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by 822Blackraven
    Plus you dont own that boot DND does, That is modifying property which is not your DND just lets a cadet borrow the boots during your cadet carrer.
    Actually, unless Cadets are different, boots are nolonger to property of the DND after they are issued. Old boots cannot be reissued so what is the point of collecting them in. The only reason Cadets do it is because they are trying to save a penny.

    Quote Originally Posted by Juice
    I don't think that adding a sole constitutes making it fit better. Read the CATO reference above.

    Adding a sole, technically, is something that one should not be doing.

    JB
    It isn't there to make a better fit, it extends the wear of your boots. The soles will last longer and the leather will crack alot slower.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by MWO Anderson
    It isn't there to make a better fit, it extends the wear of your boots. The soles will last longer and the leather will crack alot slower.
    WHich is exactly why doubling soles is not technically permitted. Did you not read the CATO? It states that the only modifications that can be made are to obtain a reasonable fit, and has another reference to jackets.

    JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

  9. #149
    So can anyone tell me why Sea Cadets (expecially) sometimes had layers of soles to their boots?
    --
    Jonathan Mok
    Second Lieutenant
    759 Falcon RCAC Squadron

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by MWO Anderson
    Actually, unless Cadets are different, boots are nolonger to property of the DND after they are issued. Old boots cannot be reissued so what is the point of collecting them in. The only reason Cadets do it is because they are trying to save a penny.
    Actually, the boots remain the property of DND while it is issued. The fact that DND prefers to give out new items should in no way be construed that they are not interested in retaining the value in it's property, through proper upkeep and restricting modifications.

    It should also be noted that selling of DND property for personal gain is not permitted.
    SLt J. K. Hunter, P.Eng., B.E.Sc.

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter
    Actually, the boots remain the property of DND while it is issued. The fact that DND prefers to give out new items should in no way be construed that they are not interested in retaining the value in it's property, through proper upkeep and restricting modifications.

    It should also be noted that selling of DND property for personal gain is not permitted.

    Also if you want to atter the soles for a bigger fit why don't you just go to supply and ask for a bigger pair, and if you are worried about the longivity of the boots and your boots are so bad go get a new pair from supply. It is not your job to get the right size boots and to make sure they are maintianed the most from my understanding of the CATOS is you can wear you boots and you can polish your boots as stanard. Anything else such as adding soles would not be allowed.

  12. #152
    Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    2004
    Location
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    Posts
    5,061
    Gender
    Just to add something to the debate....

    Many many many many many, (you get the idea) CF personell (particularly those in the "walking" trades), alter their combat boots by having better soles added, which add to the longevity of the boot, and the overall comfort level. Take that for what it's worth.
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #153
    can someone please fill me in on wut DND is...?

  14. #154
    TBay Gunner is on a distinguished road TBay Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005
    Location
    Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    112
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherH
    can someone please fill me in on wut DND is...?
    Department of National Defence

    http://www.dnd.ca/
    Cpl / CPO2 Ret'd Shane Freamo
    Infantry Soldier
    Lake Superior Scottish Regiment

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Anderson
    Many many many many many, (you get the idea) CF personell (particularly those in the "walking" trades), alter their combat boots by having better soles added, which add to the longevity of the boot, and the overall comfort level. Take that for what it's worth.
    Well, as they are not bound by the CATO's that does not strictly apply. But to clarify, I'm assuming you're talking about having vibram soles added?

  16. #156
    Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    2004
    Location
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    Posts
    5,061
    Gender
    That would be affirmative.
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter
    Actually, the boots remain the property of DND while it is issued. The fact that DND prefers to give out new items should in no way be construed that they are not interested in retaining the value in it's property, through proper upkeep and restricting modifications.
    Actually, as my father was going through Cornwallis (basic) the forces brought in an order for the logistics that no used pair of boots is to be reissued. And considering that was back in 1978 I am surprised the CCM hasn't abeen forced to the same fate.

  18. #158
    Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    2004
    Location
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    Posts
    5,061
    Gender
    I had a pair of boots re-issued to me, but that was because I needed a set that fit, and the depot I was being issued from was all out, so I was given one set of boots, brand new Size 11s (which do not fit even remotely close), and one used set of Size 12s, which were pulled out of a bin of recently returned kit, and they fit like a dream.
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  19. #159
    As to your vibram comment Anderson, I'm not sure why its done. I'm not sure if they have a system through which they are entitled to do so or not. However, if it is permissable in the CF, it has no bearing on cadets as our regs do not specifically state it is permitted. So it must be assumed that it is not.

  20. #160
    dhillon will become famous soon enough dhillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    2002
    Location
    St Thomas, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,934
    Gender
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherH
    can someone please fill me in on wut DND is...?
    Wait.. hold on. Did you just ask what DND is?... Well, I guess our Forces really are small then.


    Capt B. S. (Bob) Dhillon
    Trg O - 2884 RCACC
    Former DCO of 105 RCACC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts