+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cadet Boots

SgT_MuRrAy is on a distinguished road SgT_MuRrAy's Avatar
    Wingham, Ontario, Canada--543 Wingham rox!
    you know it's really quite funny. when it comes to sending out important things like the long service medals out west to the other end of the world ( here in BC), I swear they freaking send them by camelback express. But when it comes to giving us the crappiest boots ever, they're on top of it like a hillbilly on a possum.
    ahaha! thats hilarious...it's also kind of funnie picturin a hillbilly on a posum...thanks....it made me laugh..:P lol
    °~SaRgE~°
    G|† - ® - Ðøñ€ - ²4 - 7
    °~DiStInGuIsHeD MaRkSmAn~° and PrOuD!
    sargent JeSs MuRrAy

cadet_ja is on a distinguished road cadet_ja's Avatar
    don't think they polish well either
    Yes that is true, they have a different kind of leather. They get a sort of dull shine.
    Last edited by cadet_ja; 6th February 2006 at 12:39.
    PO2 J. Askett
    RPO of 133 Stratford
    Gunz 2 HMCS Ontario 2K7
    canada on

ive done a couple parades with the WWBs and for all you who say you dont get a good sound when you stomp on the deck, well lets just say u need to know where to hit it, yes it doesnt make as good a sound as the old ones but does a whole squad make the exact same noise? most likely not, it will sound like a thud, and whether you have combat boots on, or parade boots the sound of the group will sound next to identical. or would you rather just hear the sound of urself instead of the sound or ur squad?
    Through The Mud and The Blood To The Green Fields Beyond

I think this is funny. I'm willing to bet that all the qualities that the Cadets like in the old boot (polishes to a mirror and loud sole) are the exact qualities that the rest of the CF wants to get away from (less time shining boots, and soles that can grip to substances other then sandpaper).
    SLt J. K. Hunter, P.Eng., B.E.Sc.

quadrapiper is on a distinguished road quadrapiper's Avatar
    I think this is funny. I'm willing to bet that all the qualities that the Cadets like in the old boot (polishes to a mirror and loud sole) are the exact qualities that the rest of the CF wants to get away from (less time shining boots, and soles that can grip to substances other then sandpaper).
    Probably because the CF as a whole is looking for a classy-looking general purpose boot, where as Cadet are looking for a specialized piece of parade footwear... want to bet that the ceremonial guard (can't remember the official name) stationed in Ottawa will avoid the new horrors like the plague?

I would have to take a look at them but they look like the ones the RCMP use. I have work on those. . .scoff if you want I charged him 60/boot (that was still cheep for the grief I had). If they are the same there is a trick to doing them. Use fine coats of polish, really fine even if they are brand new and have never seen polish. I you try to use a thick coat or too much moisture it will strip. There is one other way but I haven't tried it so I wont recommend it... or tell you what it is. . . if its not done carefully you'll be in more grief. . .trust me.

BTW I still have a relatively new pair of size 10 boots only worn for about 6 months.

CW Chatter/SE Contributor of the Year - 2009 M. Arnott is on a distinguished road M. Arnott's Avatar
    I cant belive that they are switcing it. My squadron has yet to be affecter by this. I have a pair of normal boots, and a pair of hybirds(the are normal at the top, but have odd soles, like hiking boots, and I was issued them last year.). I like my normal boots the best, and they weight less.
    SLt Morgan Arnott
    189 RCSCC PORT AUGUSTA

Are you following CW on Twitter?

SarahRadbourne is on a distinguished road SarahRadbourne's Avatar
    Courtenay, BC, approx. 217 km north of Victoria
    when i saw all the lvl 1's with the boots i was so confused. why would they change the boots? they were fine and mine are VERY comfy. and quite glossy too. I've seen the lvl 1s try to polish the new boots and the outcome is even worse than what they can do with the old boots. they look like work boots for crying out loud! we dont work in our boots we march in them! im pretty sure the cadence you could get out of them is nowhere near the cadence you can get out of the old boots. the old boots are just plain better!
    *5 LINE L IMIT IN SIG*

Read the entire thread please. In it you will discover that the CF is switching to the new boots BECAUSE they are better work boots. These boots serve that purpose within the CF, use on parade is secondary. Why else would they have a hard toe?

As the CF is switching and cadets generally use the same boots, cadets must switch as well in order to keep everything nice and simple. Clear as mud?

Warlock_Boy is on a distinguished road Warlock_Boy's Avatar
    About polishing, heres my plan if when i get issued these things:

Strip. Apply ****-load of polish. WARNING, THE FOLLOWING IS A BAD IDEA! fine coat of lighter fluid. light on fire. when it goes out, wait till it dries. Use a lighter to certain parts if it doesn't go even, but should be fine. Thats my base coat. Buff when dry, and add layers of polish. Should work.
    Last edited by Warlock_Boy; 12th February 2006 at 11:49.
    NCdt Sheppard

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock_Boy
    About polishing, heres my plan if when i get issued these things:

Strip. Apply ****-load of polish. fine coat of lighter fluid. light on fire. when it goes out, wait till it dries. Use a lighter to certain parts if it doesn't go even, but should be fine. Thats my base coat. Buff when dry, and add layers of polish. Should work.
    IF you do this, do it outdoors on a paved or gravel surface in the open with a fire extinguisher and someone who knows how to use it nearby. Or, better still, don't do this.
    Last edited by N. McKay; 12th February 2006 at 05:17.

[BAD IDEA]I've done it many times, in my room, no less.

I'm a bit of a pyro...

Its ok, it works. The only thing it the polish might drip onto the floor.[/BAD IDEA]
    Last edited by Warlock_Boy; 12th February 2006 at 11:50.
    NCdt Sheppard

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock_Boy
    I've done it many times, in my room, no less.

I'm a bit of a pyro...

Its ok, it works. The only thing it the polish might drip onto the floor.
    Generally a bad idea, and should be avoided. Recommending this course of action to other cadets is irresponsible.
    SLt J. K. Hunter, P.Eng., B.E.Sc.

Mr G is on a distinguished road Mr G's Avatar
    For all the talk of these new boots, I only have two cadets that have actually received the new boots. However, I did get to see the new cadet runners on Friday, they look nice.
    LT GRABAU, MATHEW powerwings gliderwings aircsm
    573 Andrew Mynarski VC RCACS canada chile ukraine
    You get one life, make it LEGENDARY

Yes that is true, they have a different kind of leather. They get a sort of dull shine.
    From observing the boots and talking to cadets that have the boots, I think its that the new boots have a very thick leather, thereby making them difficult to start. However, once they get going they seem to have nice results.

Flashman is on a distinguished road Flashman's Avatar
    Climbing in your windows, snatching your people up...
    However, I did get to see the new cadet runners on Friday, they look nice.
    Those runners have been out since 2002, when they entered a trial period with the Army Cadet Basic Parachutist Course for that summer. It is my understanding that those runners have been widely available since 2003, so I'm rather surprised that it's taken this long.
    We are working very hard, down at Upnor Hard...
    ACTION FROM KNOWLEDGE dpara gcs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by phat_pilot
    For all the talk of these new boots, I only have two cadets that have actually received the new boots. However, I did get to see the new cadet runners on Friday, they look nice.
    They came out with another new model? What does it look like this time? The first model was nice and they lasted a long time (I've had a pair for over 3 years now and they're still in good shape), the second model wasn't so great, and you'd be lucky if you could get a year out of them. What are these ones like?

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

They came out with another new model? What does it look like this time? The first model was nice and they lasted a long time (I've had a pair for over 3 years now and they're still in good shape), the second model wasn't so great, and you'd be lucky if you could get a year out of them. What are these ones like?

JB
    They look quite similar to the second gen, but these ones are more of a mid-level height and they are just black and grey, no logos or anything

Those runners have been out since 2002, when they entered a trial period with the Army Cadet Basic Parachutist Course for that summer. It is my understanding that those runners have been widely available since 2003, so I'm rather surprised that it's taken this long.
    No no, this is a third model.

Generally a bad idea, and should be avoided. Recommending this course of action to other cadets is irresponsible.
    Whoops... right...

Momentary lapse of judgement. I edited my posts!

Anyway, for those smarter people, the basic idea was to strip the boot of the finishy stuff on it, apply a THICK basecoat, and just polish on top of that...

Should be exactly the same as a normal boot, correct?
    NCdt Sheppard