+ Reply to Thread

How to keep your shoe polish moist?

Whenever i buy shoe polish.. and after few weeks its starts turning dry. The polish starts to get hard and stiff, and its starting to crack... anyone got a way to keep your polish moist? Cuz i don't wanna buy anymore polish just because their dryed up.
    PO1 Veeeeeeeto Chan
    ATHELETIC INSTRUCTOR 2007 COURSE PICTOU FLIGHT
    201 RCSCC GRILSE

CKeenan is on a distinguished road CKeenan's Avatar
    close it once you get the polish on your cloth, and when you need to dap more polish on your cloth, open it again but make sure to put on the lid and close it again. this is definately keep it form drying out.
    canadaF/Sgt. (ret'd)Chris Keenanpoland
    aclsm
    538 Buffalo Sqn

gliderwings

Mine always stays moist because when I polish, I use water, so when I put polish on my wet cloth, some water stays on the surface of the polish, and after I put the lid back on, it traps that moisture.

JB
    Run until you can't. Then run some more

I've seen people put pennies in their polish.. anyone know why.. is that a way of moistening their polish? Thnx for the advice guyz..
    PO1 Veeeeeeeto Chan
    ATHELETIC INSTRUCTOR 2007 COURSE PICTOU FLIGHT
    201 RCSCC GRILSE

believe it or not, but if you keep your polish tin in the sunit will heat up causing the polish to get soft but not melt it. Just be careful as to how much pressure u apply when you put the polish on your cloth or you will have a hole in your polish

Quote Originally Posted by CKeenan
    close it once you get the polish on your cloth, and when you need to dap more polish on your cloth, open it again but make sure to put on the lid and close it again. this is definately keep it form drying out.
    I've tried this before and the polsih did last a bit longer, however a little to much pressure and you'll cave the airpocket under the polish in creating a big crack right through the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice
    Mine always stays moist because when I polish, I use water, so when I put polish on my wet cloth, some water stays on the surface of the polish, and after I put the lid back on, it traps that moisture.

JB
    this accualy worls really well. In a matter of fact every now and then I take a few drops of water on my fingers and place it in the polish so that the moisture of the water goes into the polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner C
    I've seen people put pennies in their polish.. anyone know why.. is that a way of moistening their polish? Thnx for the advice guyz..
    apparently the copper in the pennies make the polish more moist. I've never tried nor do I think I ever will.
    LS Josh Griffin (RCN)
    Naval Communicator
    HMCS IROQUOIS

Doesn't work.

MD
    canadaCPO2 (ret'd) M Delutiscanada
    Until Victory Always

Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr has a reputation beyond repute Lt(N) Jean Cyr's Avatar
    Chances are leaving water in the tin won't help much either, since polish is made of wax (carnuba or lanolin)...both items traditionally repel water

Try to buy your polish from a place that goes through it often (restocks new tins frequently) rather than an out of they way drug store, or corner store that has probably had it on the shelf for months.

Fresh is best and remember to securely clip the lid shut when you are done

J

Bill Z Fan is on a distinguished road Bill Z Fan's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way
    some people put a drop of water on the penny. flip it over so the drop of water is trapped between the penny and the polish. it works...if the penny isn't rusted and if u push on the penny too hard, it'll crack your polish.
    Ret'd CPO1 Fanlsmscsm
    Are you (Mg,Fe)7Si8O22(OH)2?

I close it up, I tend to keep it in a box, which is in a cool dry place. (next to my catwalk brush and Kiwi Shoe Shine Cloth®
    Andrew Bruce
    Naval Electronic Sensor Operator 00115
    HMCS Vancouver FFH-331

I used to do that. Its sposed to keep the polish from cracking. By putting the penny in hte middle, you are making the polish really tight in the can, so it wont crack. Also, the penny builds up moisture on it , there for putting al the moisture into the polish. Its not the best method, but, it does work somewhat. Im sure theres a better method out there.

PO1 Victoria Bartlett anavets
    Chief of Sail 2008 - H.M.C.S Acadia
    249 RCSCC Effie M. Morrissey

Pretty much, I keep mine in a cool dark area and it's stayed moist for a couple of months now.

MD
    canadaCPO2 (ret'd) M Delutiscanada
    Until Victory Always

yea, little problem with this...some people just drop it on the top of the polish, and some people push it it...I've never been too sure, so I just don't use it...the first can of polish I got, my best friend told me to put a penny in it, and then he proceeded to shove it to the bottom of the can looked kinda funny, with a big gaping hole in my polish...didn't work well tho...
    Victoria Adamson
    CPO1 (ret'd)lsmrclcmescsm

Just for tonight, darling, let's get lost

.. I just make sure the lid is on tight
    Tiffany Abbott

Well, I generally use up the whole tin in less than 4 weeks. I have 3 pairs of boots, 2 pairs of work boots and about 4 pairs of black leather shoes, all which get polished regularly.

However, I find that tiny drop of methylated spirits or mineral turpentine into the polish helps, but I mean the TINIEST drop!
    Martin Hartley
    Trainee Officer - Australian Air League, Padstow Squadron
    Former Leading Seaman, Australian Navy Cadets

Warlock_Boy is on a distinguished road Warlock_Boy's Avatar
    NCdt Sheppard