• New Sea Cadet Dress Instructions

    At long, long last, the new Sea Cadet Dress Instructions have been published.

    You can find them on the Canadian Cadets Org file repository, or you can view an amalgamated version right here on CadetWorld:

    http://bit.ly/CWcato3501

    There are quite a few changes, including changes to the numbering of the orders of dress.

    Have a read, then tell us here what you think!

    This article was originally published in forum thread: New Sea Cadet Dress Instructions started by Lt(N) Deck View original post
    Comments 6 Comments
    1. Thundah's Avatar
      Wow, I didn't think id be the first to notice... Well my blog entry has now been officer approved, i guess lol.

      Hopefully they'll get around to updating the air and army dress regs with the placement of the new first aid and music badges.... Shouldn't be much of a hassle. Probably just goes with the other squadron proficiency badges (fitness, marksmanship, etc)
    1. Lt(N) Deck's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Thundah View Post
      Wow, I didn't think id be the first to notice... Well my blog entry has now been officer approved, i guess lol.

      Hopefully they'll get around to updating the air and army dress regs with the placement of the new first aid and music badges.... Shouldn't be much of a hassle. Probably just goes with the other squadron proficiency badges (fitness, marksmanship, etc)
      No it was noticed by Officer members right away, I just hadn't gotten to the task of combining the multiple files into one doc and posting it here for easy reading.

      KD
    1. Thundah's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Lt(N) Deck View Post
      No it was noticed by Officer members right away, I just hadn't gotten to the task of combining the multiple files into one doc and posting it here for easy reading.

      KD
      Ah. That makes a lot more sense. When was it released to the public?
    1. po1watt's Avatar
      what is the biggest news about new dress catos for the uninform
    1. StealthMaestro's Avatar
      Jumping in a little late on the discussion, however I have to say that I realize things change over the years, but within the new dress instructions, the ability to wear more than one qualification badge on your upper arm actually looks ridiculous. Having served in the 80s when only one was authorized, I find that seeing two round top badges worn one on top of the other just looks wrong. Add to that, the ability to wear up to six proficiency badges on your lower arm, wow, again it is too much.
      I realize that times must change, but let's keep the badging within reason please. In my days as a cadet it was a stretch to wear the buglers badge and marksmanship badge at the same time, now you can have six? Yes they are smaller in size, but we're starting to let our young cadets look like scouts or beavers.
      I also noticed on a google search, one cadet wearing two band badges (identical) on his lower sleeve - again, is this not too much? Back in the old days, you were given "pips" to identify your level of proficiency as a bandsman. Does this mean someone who achieves level 5 (our old "master bandsman") would wear 5 of these?
      Enough said, hopefully this sparks some further conversations regarding the excessive badging.
      Wisty out.
    1. Lt(N) Deck's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by StealthMaestro View Post
      Jumping in a little late on the discussion, however I have to say that I realize things change over the years, but within the new dress instructions, the ability to wear more than one qualification badge on your upper arm actually looks ridiculous. Having served in the 80s when only one was authorized, I find that seeing two round top badges worn one on top of the other just looks wrong. Add to that, the ability to wear up to six proficiency badges on your lower arm, wow, again it is too much.
      I realize that times must change, but let's keep the badging within reason please. In my days as a cadet it was a stretch to wear the buglers badge and marksmanship badge at the same time, now you can have six? Yes they are smaller in size, but we're starting to let our young cadets look like scouts or beavers.
      I also noticed on a google search, one cadet wearing two band badges (identical) on his lower sleeve - again, is this not too much? Back in the old days, you were given "pips" to identify your level of proficiency as a bandsman. Does this mean someone who achieves level 5 (our old "master bandsman") would wear 5 of these?
      Enough said, hopefully this sparks some further conversations regarding the excessive badging.
      Wisty out.

      A Cadet should not be wearing two music proficiency badges. The badges are still numbered for level (see attachment.) Only the highest earned one shall be worn.

      Attachment 9769

      The decision to shrink the badges and allow Cadets to wear more of them was based on Cadet feedback that if they earned qualifications and proficiencies, they wanted to be able to display them. Many people agreed with the "old-school" way of doing things, and many liked the changes. It's been a few years now, and honestly, I don't mind the change, it actually does allow those Cadets who have put in the effort to become proficient at many things to stand out and be recognized for their dedication and ability.

      KD